Saturday, July 16, 2011

All Natural All-Purpose Cleaner for $1.50 a Bottle

As someone who spends a lot of time in my kitchen I use a lot of cleaning products. Until I started researching natural foods and the green movement I had never thought twice about the name brand cleaning agents I routinely use in my home. After reading the labels I decided that, much like the food I eat, these chemicals that my husband and I come in contact with daily need to be as close to natural as possible. I scoured the internet and came up with a recipe for a multi-purpose cleaner that is safe and cheap. The ingredients for this cleaner can also be used to make laundry detergent, dish detergent, and just about anything else to clean up your home. Currently I am working out the kinks to these other cleaners, which will make buying other cleaners a thing of the past. My goal is to build an arsenal of natural ingredients to clean every room in the house without breaking the bank. I have listed the recipe below with links to Amazon.com to help guide you. Every ingredient was available at my local grocery with the exception of the essential oils. Feel free to browse around for the best deals and save yourself some money and chemicals. Speaking of saving money one recipe makes about 16 ounces for $1.50.


All-Purpose Cleaner
1 tsp. Borax Powder
½ tsp.  Washing Crystals
2 Tbsp. White Distilled Vinegar
½ tsp. Liquid Castile Soap
2 Cups  Distilled Water
20 Drops Tea Tree oil
10 Drops Orange or Lemon Essential Oil. 
1 24+ oz. Spray Bottle
1. Mix Borax, Washing Soda Crystals, and Castile Soap in a 2 Cup glass measuring cup. (I prefer the glass measuring cup because of the spout. If you have a funnel this isn't such a problem pouring the mixture into the spray bottle. Which ever you prefer or is handiest to you.) 

2. Slowly add vinegar, this will bubble over like a science fair volcano. Caution it may get warm. While this is settling down warm 2 Cups of  distilled water. Using distilled is incredibly important because of the fluoride in tap water, filter such as Brita and Pur do not remove it. 

3. When mixture settles pour the mixture into spray bottle. Slowly pour the hot water into the bottle. 

4. Let the spray bottle cool down. Once the bottle is cool to touch add the essential oils.  Close bottle and shake. 

5. Ready to use!






No comments:

Post a Comment